Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Lectionary for 9/10/08

 
Compare the three short readings today, from 2 Kings 9 and 10 and Philippians 2.  What kind of things do we see Paul exhorting us to do without complaining?  This passage in Philippians is often used, and rightly, to instruct children in their need for cheerful obedience to their parents.  But look at the expectations of our Lord and Savior.  He demands that we do all things, up to and including being poured out as a drink offering (thrown on the ground and absorbed into it, which sounds very much like what happens when we die), all without grumbling and complaining.  We allow ourselves to receive God's commands, going counter to our culture, our habits, our personal ambitions.  We receive our Lord's honor which brings shame on us at the hands of our fellow man.  We pursue God's priorities even when they seem foolish.  We accept wrong.  We give ourselves to die in faith.  This is a heavy command which our Lord has placed on us.
 
Jesus is our example in all this, but somehow Jesus as an example doesn't help me too much.  I know what it means to lay down my life cheerfully.  I really do know that.  I just don't want to do it.  I have no desire whatsoever for that kind of sacrifice.  I don't need an example.  I need a savior who brings me to repentance and who covers me with his forgiveness.  And that's exactly the kind of savior we have in Jesus.
 
Lord, thank you for doing all things without grumbling or complaining, to your great pain and to my great benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment