Friday, February 8, 2008

Lectionary for 2/8/08 Gen. 2.4-25; Mark 1.29-45

Today's readings are Genesis 2.4-25 ( http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=Genesis+2.4-25 ) and Mark 1.29-45 ( http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=Mark+1.29-45 ). We turn our attention to Genesis chapter 2. Note how God the Father cares for his creation. He has prepared it by his own caring attention and authoritative word. He has filled it according to his good pleasure. He appoints the man work to do, and it is work carrying dignity and authority in itself. He knows what the man needs and creates what fulfills that need.

As I write this I'm being pulled in many different directions by many people. At times, like all people, I wonder how to deal with everything that's happening in my life.

A quick look at Genesis chapter 2 reminds me that the Lord is firmly in control, superintending actively over his creation, providing everything we need for life, joy, fulfillment. Do I doubt God's provision? Do I see the curse of sin on this world and my life? Most certainly. All the more reason for me to cast my cares on my heavenly Father who cares for me and has provided all I need. He is not surprised by our need. He has forseen it and already taken care of it.

How has he taken care of our greatest need? Of course, in sending his Son Jesus to bear our sin and die in our place. We can have confidence, if God is the kind of God who meets this most critical need, he is also the kind of Lord who meets our littler needs as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment