Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Lectionary for 3/4/08: Gen. 43.1-28; Mk. 12.13-27

Today's readings are Genesis 43.1-28 ( http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=Gen.+43.1-28 ) and Mark 12.13-27 ( http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=Mark+12.13-27 ).
 
Mark 12.17 says "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's" (ESV).  When we look at our world, it's really easy to have a grumbling attitude toward our government.  I remember vividly going to mail something on April 15th a few years back.  As I got out of my car at the post office, there was a man taking a big fat envelope to the mail box in front of the post office.  He was cursing and obviously angry. He inserted the envelope in the mail box and gave the box a really hard kick.  Tax day had struck again.  Over the years of paying quarterly taxes, annual taxes, taxes on this, taxes on that, it has become difficult for me to pay my government the things they demand.  And this verse has often been used with the emphasis that we need to pay our taxes.  That's even the question the Pharisees and Herodians were asking Jesus.
 
But let's look more closely at Jesus' answer, which amazed his questioners.  Not only do we pay Caesar, but we give "God the things that are God's."  Talk about difficult!  What does my government require of me?  Some money, and that I keep some laws, most of which are generally things I would do anyway.  That isn't difficult.  What does God require of me?  Only perfect righteousness, complete dedication, perfect love, trust, and obedience, hope in eternity counter to the evidence of death and destruction in this fallen world . . . I suppose the list could continue even longer than all day.
 
How can I give God the things He demands and deserves?  I can't.  Thanks be to God who has sent his Son to live a perfect life in my place, to die in my place for my sins, and to fulfill the demands of the Law on my behalf.
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment