Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Lectionary for 6/17/2008

 
A few days ago I had a visitor for lunch.  This visitor made a complaint about the lunch he was served.  He reminded me specifically of Proverbs 17.1.  Lest you misunderstand, I'll quote my visitor.  "My brother, this bread doesn't seem dry and crumbly."  For some years we have joked that he could come over any time and we would share with him what we had.  He has quoted Proverbs 17.1 and accepted the invitations graciously.  Our friendship has grown as we have talked about many issues - church governance, child rearing, education, and theology to name a few.  This visit was no different.  But I had joked about putting some bread out to dry for him since he seemed to like those "dry morsels."  I even meant to do so and present him with a napkin containing an inedible piece of bread while giving everyone else a nicer lunch.  But I had neglected to prepare adequately.
 
Would you rather have a simple meal with those you love and trust and who love and trust you?  I would.
 
Jesus calls us to a very simple meal.  Just some bread and wine there.  And Jesus is there with us too.  Let us not despise the simplicity of God's provision in Christ.  Let us rather enjoy the fellowship and love we receive by the good pleasure of our heavenly Master.
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment