Thursday, June 5, 2008

Lectionary for 6/5/08

Today's readings are Proverbs 1.8-33 ( http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=Prov.+1.8-33 ) and John 11.17-37 ( http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=John+11.17-37 ).
 
"You just don't understand!  This was really important to me!  I'm discouraged!  I'm angry!  This is serious!  You can't understand what I'm going through!"  I've heard this kind of complaint many times in my life, and expect to hear it many more times.  Sometimes I even make this kind of complaint.  Believe it or not, lots and lots of people think they are unique in their suffering.  And at least in our modern American culture, we seem to have raised up a generation of people who have been mistreated and have a lot to complain about.  We are all victims.  No doubt about it.  Nobody can feel my pain, though I would like to be sure they all know I'm in pain and what I am in pain about. 
 
When Jesus comes to see Mary and Martha about Lazarus, he is confronted not once but twice with accusations like this.  And not only does he find that Mary and Martha are grieving, but each of them independently blames Jesus.  "If only you had been here . . . "
 
Despite the many issues I've had in my life, I dont think any would exceed having a dear brother who has lived in my household and from whom I can expect to derive my support become sick and die.  Maybe there are some, but this situation in which Mary and Martha find themselves has to be among the worst situations that ever come up.  What comfort does Jesus give them?  "I am the resurrection and the life."  Jesus is the one who has conquered death, hell and the grave.  Jesus is the one who is master over life and death.  And Jesus is the one who is moved to weep with us when we are weeping.  He is acquainted with our griefs.  He knows our frame. 
 
Do we have such a human Jesus?  That's the way the Bible portrays him.  Do we unjustly strip him of his humanity and say that he can't possibly identify with us, that our sufferings are too great for his compassion?  We dare not do so.  That lessens the greatness of our Lord and Savior.  We do have just such a Jesus, who understands our griefs and has borne them.
 
Thanks be to God for his wonderful love!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment