Friday, January 16, 2009

Lectionary for 1/16/09

Today's readings are Ezekiel 38.1-23 ( http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=Ezek.+38.1-23 ) and Romans 7.1-20 ( http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=Rom.+7.1-20 ).

Sanctification versus justification?  Judicial sanctification?  Progressive sanctification?  Sometimes it seems we might need a gift of the Holy Spirit just to figure out what the theological terminology people throw around might mean.  There are a few terms that might make more sense in light of today's passage.  And since people keep throwing theological terms around we might as well get them straight.  After all, just because we don't choose to use difficult language doesn't mean we don't know what it says.  Or to put it in another way, one could determine to be abstruse, but rather elect to eschew obfuscation.  

In both our reading passages today we see the dreaded reality that believing people who are being shepherded by Christ come under attack, both from within and from without.  God addresses the nations who would choose to attack his people.  They will not ultimately succeed so they had best not start in the first place.  Terrible things happen when we act in a hostile way toward God's people.  That's the big message of Ezekiel 38.  Now how about Romans 7?  That's not about other nations attacking God's people.  It's about God's people living with sin.  It's about attacks from within.  And this brings me to some often misunderstood theological terms.

First off, let's get the distinction between sanctification and justification.  Justification is what happens when God proclaims us to be not guilty.  Christ died to take my sin.  I was justified by his death on my behalf.  It happened when Jesus died.  Of course, I had to be conceived before I was around to receive that justification.  And I had to hear that Christ died on my behalf before the Lord created faith in my heart to believe.  But while I was still a sinner Christ died for me.  That's justification.

Sanctification didn't happen to me when Christ died for me.  Sanctification means "being made holy."  Though God proclaims me not guilty I can and do sin.  And God proclaimed me not guilty before I was even born.  I didn't hear or care about being made holy until after I was born.  Just as it is possible for a judge to declare someone not guilty of crime and for that person to live a life of crime rather than live a crime-free life, it is possible for me to be proclaimed not guilty by God but proceed to live an unholy life.  But God calls us to a life which is sanctified.  He cleans us by his Spirit when we believe (it seems to be at the same time that we realize his justification and trust in his work).  This is what some people might call "judicial sanctification."  We have been washed, cleaned up, our clothes have been cleaned and pressed, and our hair combed by our heavenly Father.  Now, what happens immediately afterward?  We proceed to untuck our shirt, run our fingers through our hair, and stick a piece of chewing gum behind our ear.  Or we might strive to live the "clean" life the Lord has prepared for us.  Some of us jump right into the hog wallow.  Some of us sit down tidily in our party clothes and try to keep our noses clean.  But the fact is we will all need continual cleaning.  Just like we continue to need showers, haircuts, and simply find that our freshly brushed teeth don't stay clean, we need ongoing washing from the Holy Spirit.  This is "progressive."  That's what Paul is talking about in Romans 7.  He is in Christ.  That's clear.  He has been justified.  He has received God's super wash, hot wax, and detail service.  And he tries to avoid driving through puddles and ditches.  But there's a sinful desire within each one of us which drags us toward that hog wallow, or at least toward the dirty basement.  At the very least we end up with morning breath and need to brush our teeth.  

God diagnoses this tendency as sin.  That's why he has given his Law.  That's why he has given his word.  It works like a mirror to show us our sin.  It also works like telescope to show us our savior.  And when we look through the telescope of God's written word to see our savior, God's living word, who is standing right next to us always, we find an incredible close-up view.  How wretched we are!  Look at him!  Now look at us!  I know it will never be good like Jesus, but, Lord, let me clean up my act and turn to you in repentance because no matter what I do I'm still filthy!  Thanks be to God, he gives us a savior who can cleanse us again and again, no matter how we sin.  And thanks be to God that he gives us a savior who convicts us of sin so we are not as harmful to ourselves and our neighbors as we might be.  

Lord, protect my neighbors from me.  May I walk in your holiness this day.






No comments:

Post a Comment