Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Lectionary for 4/28/09

Today's readings are Exodus 34.1-28 and Luke 7:18-35.

One of the key issues in today's reading, and, I think, in Western Christianity of this day and age, is the issue of presumption.  Not the presumption by which I presume that I am deserving, or by which I assume that something good ought to happen even in response to my bad decisions.  I'm thinking of logical presumption.  We recall, for instance, that in a court of law the accused is presumed innocent until proven otherwise.  It's this issue of presumption which strikes me in today's reading.

What is the presumption made here?  It is that the Lord is true, that he is supernatural, and that he in fact is the mighty creator, sustainer, and redeemer of the world.  That's the presumption of the Bible.  Yet if we walk into almost any gathering of Christians, we see a different presumption in operation.  We see that God's Word must be proven, that Jesus isn't the savior unless we believe he is, that we need to persuade people of sin and salvation in order for sin and salvation to be true.

Let God be true and every man a liar!  Restore the presumption which the Bible takes!  Know that the Lord is God, there is no other!





No comments:

Post a Comment