Thursday, May 28, 2009

Lectionary for 5/28/09

Today's readings are Numbers 16.41-17.13 and Luke 20.1-18.

From Aaron's rod which not only sprouted but budded and produced almonds, to Jesus' works which say more than his words, we see that God has no need of man's defense.  Our Lord himself, through his mighty works, is able to prove his presence, his person, and his provision for this world.  He acts in his own authority, doing according to his will, accomplishing his purpose.

One of the questions I think we should always ask when considering our life and ministry is this.  "Why am I doing what I am doing?"  Is it because God has given it to me?  Is it because I want to enable God to work in a particular situation?  The two answers, though they seem similar on the surface, reflect a world of difference in their underlying philosophy.  If my answer is the first, I am perfectly in line with what we read in today's selections.  If my answer is the second, I become like Korah and his followers, like the priests and scribes who wanted Jesus to work according to reason, like innumerable heretics throughout history who have set up their plans above God's stated will.  May we ever do things because God has given them to us.




No comments:

Post a Comment