Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Zechariah 2.1-3.10, Romans 15.1-13 - Lectionary for 1/26/10

Today's readings are Zechariah 2.1-3.10 and Romans 15.1-13.

There are some situations in life that make people wonder what is happening to them.  I have experienced very few of these, thankfully.  But I think of the Christians in times and places where to name the name of Christ is criminal.  I think of people who are in areas that have experienced great natural disasters, such as the people of Haiti in the past two weeks.  Just when you think you might be alive, just when you think you might start to breathe again, you are confronted with yet another attack, yet another aftershock, yet another devastating situation.  What is a person to do?

Quite frankly, without the hope we find in Christ, if we are convinced that this world is all there is, that we are either impermanent or that our permanent state depends on some sort of irrational process, there is no reason whatsoever for hope.  When confronted with a very serious situation, we may think it would be better just to roll over and die.  Our world is quickly developing a culture of suicide where people who decide this world is all they have will choose to leave their life rather than face difficulties or allow themselves to burden others.  Yet they do this at their own peril.  The Scripture plainly says that all people have an eternal life, either in the blessed presence of God by faith in the death and resurrection of Christ, or in the agonizing absence of God by faith in our own doings.

What hope does the Christian have?  Look to the third chapter of Zechariah and see.  When we are accused, when we are attacked, when we face every sort of oppression, we are standing in the presence of God and his holy angels.    Our Lord and Savior is telling the enemy not to lay a hand on us.  Our God promises that we will be protected, that ultimately no harm will come to his people.  No harm?   Right, no harm.  Though I lose all I have, including my health and my very life, no harm will come to me in Christ.  I am perfectly safe in the arms of my Lord and Savior, who has given all on my behalf.  There is none who can harm me.  Now there's confidence.


No comments:

Post a Comment