Thursday, June 3, 2010

Ecclesiastes 11.1-10, John 10.22-42 - Lectionary for 6/3/10

Today's readings are Ecclesiastes 11.1-10 and john 10.22-42.

In Ecclesiastes 11.6 we have a vivid metaphor.  At least for me it is a vivid metaphor.  We sow our seed, we do our work.  We do not know what the outcome will be.  All we do is what the Lord has given us.  In my work as a teacher I see the truth in this verse.  Day after day, year after year, I teach my classes.  I don't know what will come of them.  I don't know what will sink in and what won't.  I have a distinct impression that thirty years from now very few of my students will remember much of the specific data I feed them in class and test them over.  But I know thirty years from now many of my students will be daily using lessons they learned about perseverance, attention to detail, follow-through, and looking at written messages carefully.  Maybe a few of them will be able to construe all the grammar in a Latin sentence.  Maybe not.  But I'll keep sowing my seed.  The Lord will give the increase, and He will bring forth what he wants to bring forth.

May the Lord bless us that we can go around today, doing what he has given us, delighting in the Giver.


No comments:

Post a Comment