Monday, April 21, 2008

Lectionary for 4/21/08

Today's Bible readings are Leviticus 21.1-24 ( http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=Lev.+21.1-24 ) and Luke 12.1-12 ( http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=Luke+12.1-12 ).
 
In the beginning of Luke 12 we are told to "beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy" (12.1b, ESV).  Why is this so dangerous?
 
Sin and deceit, hypocrisy about who we are and what we value, is something that, like leavening, grows and spreads, multiplying itself and feeding off the nutrients in our lives.  It may seem to lie dormant for a while, even sometimes for a long time, but eventually it will take hold of our lives and eat them away.  This leaven in our lives becomes obvious to all, bringing shame on our Savior and defaming his character through us who are called by his name.
 
While I don't have the ability to make Jesus evil, I do have the ability to make him look really bad.  If God's people, called by the name "Christian" are hung up on themselves, on getting what they want when they want it, in serving their selfish interests, in waging war against one another, what impression do we expect people to get of Christ?  Rather, we are right to beware of that leaven.  We are to flee sin and pursue righteousness.  We are to be holy as God is holy.
 
Thanks be to God that when he convicts me of sin, of leaven in my life, I have Jesus Christ, my heavenly advocate, who takes that sin upon himself and gives me repentance and cleansing.  I try to get rid of the leaven of hypocrisy.  Jesus does take care of it.  I strive (not hard enough) to live a holy life.  Jesus lives a holy life on my behalf.
 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment