Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Deuteronomy 1.19-36, Matthew 5.21-48 - Lectionary for 9/29/09

Today's readings are Deuteronomy 1.19-36 and Matthew 5.21-48.

We continue looking at this Law/Gospel idea.  Let's take the beginning of our reading in Matthew for an example.  What's the big thrust of verses 21-26?  It's clearly got a big emphasis on law.  Jesus starts out reminding us of the law about murder and then he applies the same kind of penalty against those who are angry with their brothers.  Did you have a brother growing up?  I did.  Nobody can provoke anger more effectively.  And in our world we are surrounded by brothers and sisters.  Jesus paints us as all being in the same family.  Fact is, there are a lot of people who are good at provoking anger and we're good at being provoked.  We are good at deriding those around us.  We are good at mocking and criticizing.

Is that enough law?  There's plenty of sin that we do.  Now look at verse 23.  This isn't just about when we are angry.  What about if someone else is angry?  Good grief!  I have to be responsible for that person's anger too?  This is too much, isn't it?

Jesus says if we know some situation where someone has something against us or we have something against someone we are not even to finish making our offering.  We don't even try to enter into worship when there is unforgiveness.  It's futile because by definition we are guilty, and that guilt is just as bad as the guilt of murder.

So there's the law.  Go ahead.  Take it and apply it.  If the shoe fits, kick yourself with it.  If it doesn't, go look for your feet.  There's plenty here to convict each of us.

Where's the Gospel?  It's right there, but we had to look.  "Come to terms with your accuser" (v. 25).  Who is accusing us?  It may not be the other person.  If I'm angry with my neighbor, if I've been mocking my neighbor in my heart, he is not accusing me.  Who is accusing me?  God is my accuser.  Wait a minute!  This is worse!  I'm guilty of murder and I'm not being accused by a person, but by God!  But this in fact is the Gospel because I come to terms with my accuser through the completed work of Christ on the cross on my behalf.  I come to terms with my accuser because Christ died in the place of murderers.  I come to terms with my accuser because Jesus, who knew no sin, became sin for me.  I come to terms with my accuser because my accuser has given himself for me.  There's the Gospel.  There's the forgiveness.  There's the renewal of access to worship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment