Thursday, September 24, 2009

Nehemiah 9.22-38, 1 Timothy 6.3-21 - Lectionary for 9/24/09

Today's readings are Nehemiah 9.22-38 and 1 Timothy 6.3-21.

"Ahh, this is the life!"  Those words of wisdom came from the back seat of my car as we dawdled along an Interstate highway in fairly heavy traffic near St. Louis some years ago.  We were on a family vacation.  My two daughters and the older daughter's best friend were in the back of our aging subcompact car.  My wife and I were in the front seat.  What inspired this comment from my daughter's friend?  Well, we had just spent a day going places and doing things - museums and the like - and they were now packed into the car.  My wife had just handed chunks of cheese to the back seat so the girls were relaxing and having a snack.  Quite a life!

Do we have that kind of contentment?  That's what we have described for us in 1 Timothy 6.  Do we find that regardless of our circumstances, even quite humble circumstances, possibly crowded, tired, and delayed, we are content?  Paul reminds us that we do have what we need.  In verse 8 he observes that food and clothing is adequate.

"Ahh, this is the life!"


No comments:

Post a Comment